Let’s be real here, new year’s resolutions are actually a good way to start the year. You know what you need to improve on, you have your own goals and you have a whole year to execute them. That’s 365 days. But why do we never seem to keep our resolutions? We’re guilty too, don’t get us wrong. Hell, I’ve been meaning to work out for the past two years. But 2019 will be different, and here we have our new year’s resolution 2019 list that will keep us in check. We’ve also recommended some products we feel would help you fulfil the resolution.
1) Work out
Now, we understand that this may already be in your new year’s resolution 2019 list but let us explain. Working out seems to be the most difficult thing to do, if you don’t already have a program set and even then, it feels like a chore half the time. But, a healthy body only strengthens how much of 2019 you can take, both physically and mentally.
The key to keeping your resolutions to “lose weight” or “work out” is having achievable goals and staying consistent. Start out small and at your own pace and ignore the ripped bodybuilder two benches away. No matter how small the goal is, achieving it will still give you the motivation to keep going. The most difficult part of getting to the top isn’t reaching there, it’s knowing how to stay there.
If you need some encouragement, the adidas Runners Singapore group on Facebook allows you to connect with fellow athletes. The running club organises several runs a month so it’s a good place to start. Treat yourself to new workout shoes and apparel. Feeling good at the gym will definitely help with the motivation to grind. A rad, upbeat playlist is also a great way to keep your heart rate up. Check out some of the products we recommend for all your physical activities of 2019.
– Take the opportunity to splurge on some solid shoes. We recommend the Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 for all your running and work out needs. A simple sneaker with comfortable cushioning, it’s the perfect shoe to keep you at your best while you exercise.
-What’s the point of new shoes if you have no shorts to run in? These Nike shorts are breathable, light and look stylish enough to wear for your post-workout errands. Killing two birds with one stone.
– An upbeat playlist is the ultimate heart-racing, adrenaline-pumping companion you need when you’re shredding all that weight. Luckily, Straatbeats offers exactly that with new bangers added each week.
2) Listen to more music
With all the streaming options out there, there really isn’t a reason you’re NOT listening to music. But let 2019 be the year you expand your horizons. See an interesting album cover? Give it a listen. Heard a new artist over lunch? Check out the rest of their music.
Hearing new music for the first time is like unwrapping a Christmas present. You never know what you’ll get until you listen to the album. You might just find your new favorite artist. Technology has progressed so much over the past few years, allowing us to do our everyday things with more ease.
Apple’s Air Pods may be the subject of the latest meme on the internet but no one can deny how useful they actually are. Completely wireless with their own portable charging station. What more can you ask for? If you find the fit of the earpieces in your ear to be a bit weird, try out Earhoox, a product meant to help improve the fit of your Air Pods.
– Find the perfect fit for your Air Pods with Earhoox.
– Arguably everyone’s favorite wireless earphone right now, the Apple Air Pods will definitely help you listen to music effortlessly on the go.
– Spotify has got plenty of features for you to really customize your listening experience. From changing the EQ of your songs to having your own private playlist, Spotify is our go-to for music streaming. Get premium here.
While you’re at it, follow StraatBeats on Spotify too for all the latest bangers released every week.
3) Try out a new hobby
Hobbies are a good way for you to use your time efficiently and with purpose while picking up a new skill at the same time. Our tip is to try out an inexpensive hobby first: if you find it’s not for you, you won’t have invested too much cash into it. We recommend to pick up cooking, or if you already do cook, to spice up your dishes. Try the recipes from Netflix’s Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat.
Another favorite of ours is podcasts. These are easy to digest and there are many options for you to choose from. From sneakers to comedy, there is bound to be one for you.
Finally, reading. Knowledge may be the most powerful tool that we have and it never hurts to learn something new. Check out the links below for some of our favorites.
– Find your recipes from Netflix’s Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat.
– Dissect on Spotify features some of the best explanations to your favorite songs.
– Taschen has got some of the best books to get started with hobbies. They also double up as nice tabletop decorations for your aesthetic Instagram photos.
4) Spend more time alone
Sometimes, all we need is time to ourselves to really take a step back. As each year passes, it just seems like the world around us keeps getting busier and busier. It’s important to have some time away from all the hustle and bustle of the world for self-reflection. One way of doing that is by reducing screen time on your gadgets. Technology has brought us all closer and we cannot escape it with our phones and laptops getting easier to bring around. Make use of screen time tracking apps which can be easily found on your smartphones to see how much time you are actually spending on them.
– Light a candle to help you relax as you escape the real world for a while.
– Check out your Youtube screen time in your Youtube app to know how much you’re watching.
– Wake up earlier to enjoy a nice cup of coffee/tea while you read in the morning. Check out this Human Made mug that we recommend.
5) Take care of yourself
Now, we’re not calling you out for your hygiene. We’re very sure you have some of the best hygiene habits out there. However, why not start the year right by upping your self-care game? Looking great will mean you feel great and that just sets you up for all your new year’s resolutions. Get a new face wash, buy a better shaver and get a grooming kit for your beard. These are all little steps that will go a long way in achieving your goals for 2019.
– Get a brand new face wash to feel as fresh as possible in the morning and ready to face the world. Check out this one from Murdock that we adore.
– Who doesn’t love to smell good? This CDG fragrance will definitely put up a good first impression.
– For all of you lucky enough to grow facial hair, check out this field shave kit from Imperial. This kit has all the essentials you need, and at less than $100? A steal.
– Sneakers need to be pampered too. Check out this Crep Protect Mark On pen that will help you restore the midsoles of your favorite sneakers.
A new year can definitely bring a new you but only if you work towards it. We hope that our New Year’s Resolution 2019 list was useful. Remember, small goals and small wins are just as important as hitting your big goal. Consistency is key and at the end of the day, do what makes you happy, because that trumps any resolution.
What’s on your New Year’s Resolution 2019 list? Have you started on them? Let us know in the comments below.
Read more: Buckle up, the Martine Rose x Nike Air Monarch is dropping soon